Nonprofit human services revenue performation and chief executive officer pay: An investigation of executive compensation and revenue performance

by O'Donnell, C. T., Ii, Ph.D., CAPELLA UNIVERSITY, 2007, 101 pages; 3274982

Abstract:

This study sought to determine if organizational revenue as a proxy for performance is related to CEO compensation in large human services nonprofit organizations. Publicly available revenue and salary tax data from GuideStar.org was used. Regression analysis showed that organizational revenue had a significant positive impact on CEO salary in human services organizations. The null hypothesis that there is no relationship between organizational revenue and CEO salary was rejected. Effect size results for the significant findings ranged from weak to medium, which may limit their practical significance. Due to the low percentage of explained variance, or predictive power (R2) in the model between revenue and CEO salary of 11%, it was assumed that variables outside the model represented the other 89% of explained variance. Results verified that revenue, in addition to other moderating variables outside the model in this study, might be considered with other performance evaluation tools in evaluating CEO performance. This study also investigated the relationship between revenue growth and several formulas for salary change. Even thought the study found a significant relationship between revenue growth and salary, the relatively weak practical significance and low predictive power of the model, using several iterations of revenue growth to salary scenarios, failed to provide a strong argument for a deterministic relationship between these variables and failed to corroborate previous research on this topic. The findings from this study suggest a need to expand the conceptual framework developed in this study with other important variables for future longitudinal studies of the deterministic relationship between revenue and salary and the endurance of these effects over time. This knowledge could inform nonprofit boards in establishing CEO goals and rewarding CEO behavior.

AdviserGary Robinson
SchoolCAPELLA UNIVERSITY
Source TypeDissertation
SubjectsManagement; Organizational behavior; Health care management
Publication Number3274982

About ProQuest Dissertations & Theses
With nearly 4 million records, the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT) Global database is the most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses in the world. It is the database of record for graduate research.

PQDT Global combines content from a range of the world's premier universities - from the Ivy League to the Russell Group. Of the nearly 4 million graduate works included in the database, ProQuest offers more than 2.5 million in full text formats. Of those, over 1.7 million are available in PDF format. More than 90,000 dissertations and theses are added to the database each year.

If you have questions, please feel free to visit the ProQuest Web site - http://www.proquest.com - or contact ProQuest Support.